The best battery for solar and renewable energy storage
In this blog post we will tell you more why Lithium LiFePO4 battery is the best option for solar and renewable energy storage. Cost, features and other valuable information will be provided.
The lithium iron phosphate battery(LiFePO4) is a type of rechargeable battery consisting of LiFePO4 as its cathode material; hence the name. It is also called the LFP battery with “LFP” standing for lithium ferrophosphate. LiFePO4 is a natural mineral of the olivine family(triphylite). The lithium iron phosphate battery is capable of charging and discharging at high rates when compared to other types of batteries.
Lithium iron batteries are built to outperform the traditional lead-acid batteries. They are the safest of the mainstream li-ion battery types. They are often more expensive than lead acid batteries but he reduced maintenance and infrequent replacement makes the lithium iron phosphate battery a valuable investment and smart long term solution.
They have been the most trusted high performance batteries in several industries Benefits of lithium iron batteries:
- Longer life The smart lithium (liFePO4) is designed to last ten times longer than traditional lead- acid batteries. This helps to reduce replacement cost. it also reduces total cost of ownership in general.
The lithium iron phosphate batteries have a much longer life span than lead acid batteries. They can function perfectly for the period of 5-7 years.
- Light weight The lithium Iron batteries are designed to weigh less. They weigh about 60% less when compared to a lead-acid battery. They are almost four time lighter than lead acid batteries. For many solar application, this is a huge benefit that can lower the cost of installation and speed up project execution.
- More capacity The smart lithium batteries have 50% more capacity than their lead-acid equivalent. This enables it to store more energy and this leads to greater productivity. - Fast charging Low resistance and with a 99% efficiency, will minimize the losses during charging. This results in fast charging which is another convenient perk. - Safety Lithium iron phosphate chemistry eliminate the risk of explosion or combustion due to high impact, overcharging or short circuit situation. This is as a result of the stable chemistry that exist between lithium, iron and phosphate. - Power The lithium iron batteries deliver twice the power of the traditional lead-acid batteries. It has a high discharge rate while maintaining high energy capacity. You get to enjoy full power throughout discharge with no drop in voltage. - Climate resistance Both lead-acid batteries and LiFePO4 loses capacity in cold weather. Although, the loss of energy with a lithium iron battery is minimal. It will still have 80% capacity at a temperature of -20 degree Celsius. For many places with extreme cold or hot weather, the lithium iron phosphate battery id the best and safe choice. - Lithium is green When you eventually want to discard your battery, you don’t have to worry if the chemicals in it will affect the environment. The chemicals in the batteries are non-toxic and cause no harm to the environment.They contain no rare metals or what is also known as batter acid, which is dangerous.
- Solar energy storage The smart lithium batteries can be connected to a solar panel and controller. The solar panel can charge the LiFePO4 batteries, and at the same time provide power to an electric load. Rechargeable batteries are needed for off grid solar power systems.
- Electric Carts The LiFePO4 batteries can be used to power electric golf carts which are used to transport golf clubs across the golf courses. The weight of the LiFePO4 batter and its enhanced life makes this possible.
- E-mobility The lithium iron batteries can also be used to power e-bikes and e-scooters to replace lead-acid batteries. They have high specific capacity, weigh less and have enhanced cycle life which make them ideal for this. They have a higher discharge rate needed for acceleration, and lower weight which make them suitable for bicycles and electric cars. 12VLiFePO4 batteries are also gaining popularity as a second(house) battery for a caravan, motor home or boat.
- Marine The LiFePO4 can be used to power small boats. The batteries weigh significantly less than the traditional lead acid batteries. They also have a long life cycle and this makes them ideal for powering small boats.
Lithium iron phosphate batteries are not new, however, latest improvements and developments have made them the natural choice for various industries and many applications. When deciding between lead acid and lithium iron phosphate battery, I think the better option is obvious. To get your lithium iron phosphate batteries, you can visit www.engoplanet.com .